Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Calm Before The Storm

Hello interwebs! Long time no see. It's the day before the Afterimages showing for the faculty. The showing in which a panel of professors, a impartial dance student and assorted staff and community members decide whether you'll live or die. Of the 22 pieces rehearsing right now, only about 10 will be in the concert. It is a dreaded day.

I'm making it sound much worse than it actually is to make a point. As an art marker it is very rare that you are not emotionally attached to your work. So regardless of how positive, or encouraging feedback is if your piece isn't chosen it hurts. That being said right now I taking some rest I had a very full weekend (including successfully making gumbo on the first try!) in preparation for tomorrow. I am enjoying a ginger ale and some indie rock. It's important to balance work with rest, especially in the pinch. My Irish Catholic upbringing sometimes causes me to forget that.

I'm showing two works tomorrow. The first is a group work for 11 women entitled Ceremonia, the second a personal solo is Four Meditations. Ceremonia was inspired by Leslie Marmon Silko's amazing novel Ceremony and set to really cool score of Juana Molina's music. Four Meditations is my first attempt a more PO. MO. piece. It's an eight minute, four section study of physical interpretations of artistic experimentation. I really love the soundtrack for this one. Born Ruffians, Justice and M.Ward are all great artists to dance to.

But that is all tomorrow. Tonight is for reading a bit of Why Suya Sings, then watching The Year One with my good friend Sara. She has promised me a back rub for my sore shoulders. Jack Black and body work! I live THE life.

CHEERS,
JSB

No comments: